Thursday, November 04, 2004

Shalom, Graduates!

I had my last class at the Holocaust Museum last night, and we graduate next Wednesday! It's so exciting, and I am so happy that I somehow stumbled upon this opportunity. It has been so fulfilling. Everytime I leave the museum I have this amazing high- my heart is so full with love and compassion.

My fellow docent trainees have been quite enlightening for me . There is one particular gentleman who is quite a character- he's flamboyant, outspoken, and very uninhibited. Every day is an adventure with him! Most people are about my age or a little older. I would venture to guess only two or three in our class are Jewish, but most of the current docents are older, Jewish patrons. The docent coordinator is a fellow Aggie, but she says she hasn't had much to do with A&M since she left school...me and you both, sister!

We have had several Holocaust survivors share their experiences with us, and it is unbelievable how moving their accounts are. But they are so positive and so energetic about life. It's almost counter-intuitive: they saw the worst of humanity, but they persevered and now cherish life. There are those of us (me) who have had very comfortable lives for the most part and moan about life's smallest little stumbling blocks (two posts ago). It puts life into perspective. If we could all take a moment, quiet our inner voice, and give homage to those who have suffered the lessons of history so that humanity may learn from them and move forward.

There were 11 million people murdered during the Holocaust- 1939-1945, 5 million Jews, and 6 million other groups targeted by the Nazi Regime (homosexuals, disabled persons, gypsies, black peoples), 1.5 million children (perhaps the most disturbing statistic)- how is it humanly possible to look into ONE child's eyes and murder him? THERE WERE 1.5 MILLION MURDERED. Take a moment to comprehend those numbers. In just 6 years...It's almost incomprehensible.

For those of us from the Houston area, it would take 30 Astrodomes, full to capacity (every single seat) to hold all the CHILDREN killed. Imagine...

Power is a very strange thing. The Nazis unchecked power led to the annihilation of 11 million people. The power of hope within the Holocaust survivors, when hope seemed so dismal, defied all logic. The power of those single individuals who gave their lives to save one other human life was an extraordinary thing. AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, THE POWER FORFEITED BY THE BYSTANDERS- THOSE WHO TURNED THEIR HEADS THE OTHER WAY, THOSE WHO SAID IT WAS NOT THEIR PROBLEM- IS THE SHAME OF THE WORLD. The Holocaust lives on. Listen to your conscience. We are all tempted to turn our heads and say there is nothing we can do, it's not our problem. It is your problem.

"First they came for the Communists, but I was not a Communist, so I said nothing. Then they came for the Social Democrats, but I was not a Social Democrat, so I did nothing. Then came the trade unionists, but I was not a trade unionist. And then they came for the Jews, but I was not a Jew, so I did little. Then when they came for me, there was no one left to stand up for me."
-Protestant Pastor Niemoller

As docents we try to send a message of rememberance, of hope, and of purpose to the museum's visitors. I invite all of you to join me for a private tour sometime after the new year. It will be something that never leaves you.


1 Comments:

Blogger The Shib said...

That sounds really cool Rudolph. Perhaps once Im back in town I'll take a tour. Bet it'd be enlightening. In a very solemn way.

10:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home